Monday, June 20, 2011

Adventures Should be Adventurous.









    On Saturday we visited the Mokolodi Nature Reserve and went on an evening safari followed by a bush braai (pronounced brye), which is Botswana's version of a BBQ.  The safari was unbelievable; although we did not see many animals, just driving on the trails and seeing the landscapes was enough to convince me that I was somewhere worth being.  We saw antelope, impalas, warthogs, cheetahs, hyenas, and ostrich.  Unfortunately, I did not bring a better lens, so I have very few wildlife pictures.
    I was able to snap a few good landscapes, which needed no editing (except for the last picture).  I have decided that when I'm retired, but lively, I'm going to move out here and build a simple home with nothing but a beautiful mountain view in my backyard.  I will also invest in a 300mm Nikon lens.

    So, we are starting our third week in Botswana.  One research paper down, one safari, one braai, two clinic days, plenty of shopping trips, a few nights out, and many moments lost in translation.  It feels like I've been here for months yet only one day.  I know 7 weeks will never be enough time to satisfy my curiosity.  But, I am convinced that I will return someday in the future; hopefully sooner than later.  We have a lot planned for the coming weeks:
    We will be returning to our clinic internships Wed. and Thurs.
    We have our second paper on food-borne infection due Thurs.
    Leave for Mochudi on Saturday where we will be in home stays and working in clinics for one week
    Camping trip
    Hopefully a trip to Victoria Falls
    A lot of shopping and birthday celebrations
    See a traditional healer
And plenty more.....

I cannot wait for the days to go by, but don't want them to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment