Saturday, June 11, 2011

Kgale Hill...Extreme Mountain Climbing 2011 Edition

Today proved to be an interesting day. 
We climbed Kgale Hill, whose name is a complete understatement.  I have never hiked a hill in comparison, but it was an extremely difficult and rewarding trek. 
Standing at the base of the summit, Kgale looks like a small mountain with immense trees and orange, clay-colored rocks jutting out.  Going up the North side of the hill, Batsi (our program leader), managed to create his own path leading 22 of us through prickly trees, dirt, and jagged rocks.  At times it was unusually difficult climbing, especially with the sun beating down on us.  But with every step, we went higher and higher, and looking out at the dam and hills in the distance, you couldn’t help but be amazed at how far you’ve come.  Halfway up the hill and I couldn’t even believe I climbed so high.  The dam is similar to looking at the Mississippi at its widest point, but add hills and a single road outlining them. 
At times we were literally rock climbing, most of us with scrapes and cuts all over our legs by this point.  There were points where that was all I could think of, but looking out I couldn’t help but forget these trivial things.  Climbing the hill reminded me of the mindset that I should have throughout this trip, to be able to stop and appreciate things for what they are, no matter how uncomfortable or difficult it may be.  Although I may be afraid of heights, I cannot allow that to keep me from admiring most of what comes along with them. 
Two and a half hours later, we reached the top of the mislabeled hill.  Surrounded by other hills, a city, and the dam, I felt like I was finally in Botswana.  Until now, I have been only surprised at how similar it is to my home.  Seeing what makes it different from home and being near its native prickly trees and baboon poop, I felt that I was somewhere new. 
The ascent down the hill was still difficult, but not nearly as bad as the climb.  My wobbly legs and lack of grace and balance made it a bit more difficult, but I managed.  Although it took most likely 3 times the expected amount of time, it was worth the effort.  I’m not sure if I will be thinking that tomorrow when I wake up with bruises and sore legs, but maybe this nostalgia will return in a week.
Midway

Midway

Almost to the top

Almost at the top, quarry view

I made it!


Dam view

Baboon in the street

No comments:

Post a Comment