Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mopane Worms!


Today, for P6 (6 Pula, less than 1USD), I bought some mopane (pronounced Moh-Pan-Ay) worms from a street vendor.  These are a delicacy in Botswana and are picked from mopane trees.  They are full of protein.  You can eat them dried (in the picture above) or boil them and fry them (right picture).  We added some jazzy salt to them, but they were still near disgusting.  I think the fact that I know I'm eating a caterpillar makes it much less enjoyable.  They were crunchy and mushy at the same time and tasted like grass.  I can now say that I ate a caterpillar, and will never do it again.

2 comments:

  1. See my comment on FB about Andrew Zimmern. He has had these worms before and made the same comments as you did and he liked them. Its interesting that he doesn't like Spam. He is from MN. He went to HI and tried Spam (Spam Country) and didn't like it! I couldn't believe it! He never had my Spam pizza burgers-I bet he would actually like them! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it so much it is my food and i know how to collect it from mophane tree

    ReplyDelete