Saturday, July 9, 2011

Time is a Luxury.

"Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in ever way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever..." [Isak Dinesen]

"You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future"


    For some reason I am in a quote-y mood.  I just realized that the University’s wireless will let me search the iTunes store.  How have I missed this for so long?!  I have been so musically deprived; all the while I could have walked across the street and solved the problem.

    My time here is certainly and quickly coming to an end, and I am not sure how to feel about it.  I can’t help but thinking about the luxuries I’ll be welcomed with upon my return to the beautiful state of Minnesota.  But I catch myself thinking, “How can I be so preoccupied with these thoughts when I am already in such a beautiful place?”  I do miss home, but I am sure as soon as I step onto the airplane I’ll be missing a second home. 

    I can keep thinking about how unfair it is that I only have 7 weeks total, and only two more left.  But why bother, when I can think about all of the opportunity left within those two weeks?  I still have two more days in the clinic, a four day holiday weekend that will be spent in Victoria Falls, and plenty of nights to spend around Gaborone, not to mention 21 other people to spend this time with. 
I’m nervous for leaving a place I love so much; I know 7 weeks will never be enough, but I will make it into as much of an experience as I can.  Maybe this feeling of not being ready to leave will motivate me even more to come back.   I am trying to make every moment as enriching as possible, and to truly appreciate every second.  I know that there are things I miss at home, and there are things I will be happy to leave here, but it’s the same the other way around. 

    Knock on Wood: But I am lucky enough to have evaded the flu that is circling around our group, traveler’s diarrhea, and chicken liver.  I have seen plenty of animals, none of which attacked me.  I’ve yet to have been stung by a mosquito.  I have only seen 3 spiders.  I have spent under 1,000 USD (let’s pray it stays that way).  I haven’t gotten sun burnt and I don’t think it has gotten anywhere near 100F; I can’t say I’ve avoided attractive farmers tans, however.  And, luckily, the exchange rate is still in my favor.

Time will fly, but that is inevitable.  As long as I’m flying with it, I think I’ll be fine.     

No comments:

Post a Comment