Sunday, July 24, 2011

Final thoughts...

So…by the end of this trip I expected to be certain of which career path I was choosing and to be a different person.  I’m not sure if either worked out according to plan.

I think if anything, I have been assured that I am equally, and increasingly, passionate about medicine and public health.  I can see myself playing critical roles in both disciplines.  So, in the last month I have left of summer, I need to decide which death test I am going further in to debt for. 

I think I have yet to change many of my beautiful qualities:
I still manage to crave and drink massive amounts of coffee
I still have a ridiculous amount of dirty laundry; this time I’m still wearing it
I still hate spiders and feet
I am still obsessed with searching iTunes, and will go to drastic measures to do it
I’m still pale.

What has changed?
I like baths; preferably with 2 inches of hot water
I can fall asleep before 1am

Some of the luxuries I miss from home:
Non-bran cereal
Not-rooibos tea
Pilot G-2 pens
A ridiculously large selection of notebooks
Blending in
Not being proposed to or told if my skin were darker, I would look like a Motswana with a “nice African figure”

What will I miss?
Street food
The exchange rate
Cheap groceries
Combis
Safaris
Being greeted by everyone
Speaking Setswana
Walking everywhere
Fatcakes, samp, pap, man sized lunch bars, and Toppers
Bull & Bush nights
Monkeys eating our food

I think this list can go on much longer than the previous.  However, I am excited for Minnesotan accents and the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment